York Minster

York Minster

Tuesday, February 1, 2011

One Week Down

A little more than a week has passed since I began my journey to York. My traveling buddy and I flew out of Chicago Monday night last week, arriving in Manchester, from whence we took a bus to the school. After hauling my suitcase up a narrow flight of stairs, I was in my new room for the next few months. Since arriving, life has been a whirlwind of welcome week sessions, tours, exploring, and generally trying to settle in. Through all of this, I've met many fascinating people from around Europe and the world who are also international students. I haven't met many British people yet, but I'm sure this will come in time!
One of the highlights of my time in York so far is Evensong at the Minster, the giant cathedral in the city centre. The choral music is awe-inspiring, the Minster, with its vaulted ceilings and intricate carvings of stone and wood wondrous. Going a few times to this nightly event has been an amazing reminder of God's majesty and glory.
Another highlight has been wandering around the city exploring! There are sections of the old medieval wall that can be walked, and one of the first things to cross my mind as I looked out over the wall was, "This must be what it's like to stand on the walls of Helm's Deep!" (another reference to The Two Towers, in case you're not familiar with The Lord of the Rings). The city is also full of fantastic little shops and coffee and tea places.
Classes started yesterday. I think it will be a delightful semester!
That's all for now!

1 comment:

  1. Glad you're enjoying York so far!! You'll have to let us know about your host family & classes when you have some more time!

    ReplyDelete