York Minster

York Minster

Saturday, March 26, 2011

Evidence that I really am in York!

I thought it might be high time I tried to post some pictures.

 The Minster
 A lovely sign outside of a cafe
 The corner of the Minster and the front of St. Michael le Belfry's (baptism site of Guy Fawkes)
 Statue commemorating the crowning of Constantine in York
 Minster from the city walls

 Part of the Walls
 The abbey at Whitby (a bus ride of a couple of hours away)


 Whitby!

 Marie Antoinette's, home of beautiful cakes and homey sitting rooms
 Half of Whitby from the pier


 Captain Cook
 Back at York, the Minster at sunset
 Reflection of the Minster in the windows of Bennett's, a cafe


 A bicycle outside the public library
Some ruins outside the public library

It's been another busy couple of weeks here: turning in school work, getting tea with friends, preparing for events week with the Christian Union, and enjoying some lovely weather. It was definitively spring last week; I wore a dress and flip flops one day. More and more things are blooming all the time, and I think it's safe to say ice cream and milkshake sales throughout the city have been on the rise. Yesterday, I availed myself of the warmer temperatures and sunshine and went to the museum gardens to read. The fresh air refreshed and revitalized, and the only dubious aspect of the gardens was the swarms of pigeons. Today it turned cool, and the clouds and wind were back, but such is the nature of spring.
All has not been sunny and pleasant since I last wrote. I was shocked and greatly saddened to hear that Professor Jennifer Young died a week ago due to complications related to premature childbirth. She was my First Year Seminar teacher, and thus one of the first people to make me feel truly welcome in the Hope College community. I respected and admired her all the more as I got to know her through other classes and conversations. She was cool, and encouraging, a vibrant, passionate soul. Without her support and friendship, I might not have declared an English major. To say she affected my life in a positive way is a gross understatement. She is, and will continue to be, deeply missed. My deepest sympathies go out to her husband and her baby, Solomon.

No comments:

Post a Comment